Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Job Interview Strategy

The question came from the Pepperdine LinkedIn forum on Private Capital Markets.



Here's my answer, and, true to the title of this blog, it may be the most important thing you read today (or all week, or all month, or all year)

Doc Williamson  It is a classic case of, "You never have a second chance to make a first impression." 

I almost didn't respond to this message thread because I thought to myself, if I am a CEO candidate walking into an interview with a "hiring committee" which I believe consists of a lot of "underling" types who are only there to be the HR filter that says, "no", I might be inclined to scowl, frown and posture about being their "boss" and they had better treat me well, if they wanted to still be with the company after I take over. But seriously, who is that ever going to "impress"? 

Whether your leadership style is that of Joan of Arc, or Emily Dickinson, first you have to make them WANT to follow you, and that includes when the interview is for the mail-room clerk on your first job with the company, or as Senior Group Vice President (and eventual CEO candidate). ALWAYS smile whenever you meet anyone. 

A smile is a "gift" that costs you nothing, and can mean everything to someone else. That could be especially if even thought they smile back at you, they are (mentally) standing on the edge of a bridge and considering whether to jump. 

Always do your best, and wish the best for others. It is the only hope we have as humanity for any kind of global sanity. 

Sincerely, 
Stafford "Doc" Williamson

No comments: